Wednesday, July 10, 2013

So You Think I Left Someone Out

I have been getting a lot of feedback on my All Time Texas Rangers Roster I posted a few days ago.  Everyone I talk to seems to think I left someone out or put 1 middle infielder on there that has no business on the list.  Let me tell you why you are wrong!

5 players people say SHOULD be on this list


5.) Buddy Bell                    

 Buddy Bell was a great 3rd Baseman, no denying that at all.  He didn't have a powerful bat, but he was a run creator. He had a high OBP (On Base Percentage) and his glove was very nice over on the hot corner.  This was honestly the hardest position to chose from and Buddy Bell is the reason it was so difficult.  Adrian Beltre's stats (although a much smaller history) are well above Double B's. The thing that puts it over the top for me is play in the field.  Adrian Beltre makes routine plays that Buddy couldn't dream of making.  Buddy constantly was in the mid teens to low twenties in errors every year.  Adrian in his 3 years has only committed 28.  Power goes to Adrian, Glove goes to Adrian, and their batting average is about the same. (Adrian's looks to be a little higher, I just don't want to bust the calculator out right now.



 4.) Dean Palmer








Dean Palmer couldn't carry either Beltre or Bell's jock strap.  He was a strikeout machine, hit below .250 in most seasons, and only played in more that 100 games 4 times as a Ranger.  Luckily for him he was a HR hitting corner infielder during an era in Arlington when expectations were not that high. 



3.) Kevin Brown






His best years were performing as a star ace in the National League for Florida, San Diego and Los Angeles through the early 2000s.
He did win 21 games once in Texas and did lead the league in ERA one year. But besides that K.B.'s career in Texas just average.  Only 78 wins while pitching for the Rangers, I definitely think the 5 I listed are much better choices.  He may be 7th because I have Bobby Witt ahead of him.



2.) Julio Franco




 I struggled with this quite a bit.  The only thing I could think of doing is taking A-Rod off my list, moving Young to SS and letting Julio be my 2B. But I just cant do it.  I hate A-Roid as much as the next guy, but 150+ home runs in 3 season!?!?! Sorry even if those numbers are tainted, they happened and I loved it while it was happening. And there is NO WAY I'm taking Michael Young off this list




1.) Will Clark


 Will Clark was sandwiched between Raphael Palmerio.  We were so lucky here in Texas to watch 15 straight seasons off amazing 1B.  Will Clark was everything you wanted from a 1st basemen, Hit for Average, could hit for power, and played good in the field.  But Raphael was all that plus some. Will Clark 77HR in 5 seasons Raphael in 2001-2002 hit 90 and was a perennial All-Star and a Gold Glove winner.  Will Clark was great, but this is a no contest.




So those are my reasons.  Love some feedback on your opinions.  

2 comments:

  1. Still no Otis Nixon???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Chris, Otis Nixon and Jeff Frye didn't make the cut. Almost put them as honorable mentions though! lol

    ReplyDelete